Friday, March 4, 2011

Blogging...

So, it turns out that I am just not a very good blogger. My fellow teachers who also have blogs are busting out more posts than there are days in the month! They are much better writers than me though. My friend Allison literally has people from all over the world who follow her blog on a regular basis, and she doesn't even know them! I just can't compete with that kind of talent. So, naturally, I will just give up and pretty much just post pictures of this beautiful place. For me, that is really the best part and I hope my five faithful followers will concur! I am still loving this amazing country and can hardly believe I am really here some days. I hope everyone is doing well. Miss you all!


St. Isaac's Cathedral:
This was our first peak at St. Isaac's Cathedral. We passed by it on our way to another place. The inside is soon to follow!
The Bronze Horseman:
This guy is the Bronze Horseman who was built by Catherine the Great in honor of Peter the Great.  He is a big hero over here and she built it to try to get on the people's good side, basically. It is a very important monument and is kind of like a Statue of Liberty to the Russian people.

I think the translation is actually Copper Horseman, but he is known as the Bronze Horseman because of the poem written by Pushkin, another very important person to Russian history. 

This is the Peter Paul Cathedral across the river from where the Bronze Horseman is. There are a lot of important historical places really close to each other in this area.
Church on Nevsky Prospect:
This is just a pretty little chapel we found tucked a little off of Nesky Prospect.

A really beautiful stone just outside the chapel.
Lady of Kazan:
This is more of the Lady of Kazan. I finally went inside, but no cameras allowed, sadly. It is cool thought because it is a working cathedral for the Russian Orthdox church.



A Different Side of Nevsky:


Allison and I had an adventure walking on a street that runs parallel to Nevsky.



My pretty friend busting the Russian face...And it is an owl, in case you were wondering.

They have public transportation that runs on some sort of electromagnetic wiring. I totally made that up. I don't know how it works, but the trolleys connect to these overhead wires and it creates quite a mess of crossing lines at intersections. Just look at all of that! I can't imagine why things ever go wrong... Anyway, I always try to avoid them in pictures so I decided to just embrace them and devote an entire picture to them.

Nevsky at Night.



I have this funny love for light poles. They are so cool looking.

1 comment:

  1. I am proud to be a faithful follower of this blog! You do a great job with keeping us(the welsh's) up to date but I have to admitt that I really look forward to the pictures...so keep 'em coming!!

    ReplyDelete