Sunday, January 23, 2011

My First Post and One Day in Counting

Well, this is my first experience with the blogging system so I'm using this first post as a test run to see how everything works. (Already this is the second time I have had to rewrite my post, and I promise it was better written and funnier the first time....) 


I am patiently awaiting my departure to the Mother Land, which is just one very short day away.  My flight leaves on Tuesday, January 25th at 10:32 AM. We make a quick stop in Chicago and then go on for a long haul to Frankfurt, Germany where we arrive on the 26th at 10:15 AM.  Then it's a brief four-hour layover in Germany and just a short five-hour flight to St. Petersburg to make a grand total of 32 hours of straight travel time. It will be like my high school days on the tennis bus, only longer and thus much more fun!




My dad was quizzing me on some facts about my new home, and it turns out he knows a lot more than I do. What a surprise. So, I thought I would include a few fun facts for us all to become a little more familiar with this interesting part of the world. 


Five Fun Facts:
          • Russia is the largest country in the world - one of the more obvious facts, but interesting all the same
          • Russia's population is 145 million - with 5 million in St. Petersburg - St. Petersburg alone is 625 times larger than my hometown
          • St. Petersburg was the former capital of Russia and used to be known as Leningrad -  "Well! Finally those capitalistic pigs will pay for their crimes, eh? Eh comrades? Eh?"
          • 10% of government income comes from the sale of vodka - I have been warned by Russians and Non-Russians alike to always ask before accepting a drink of anything
          • St Petersburg hosts as many as 100 cultural and art festivals each year - I am most excited to experience all that St. Petersburg has to offer in these areas


I am overwhelmed with excitement and nerves about this "a little scary" and "a lot exhilarating" adventure. I hope I can keep you all updated on the best parts of my excursion. 

12 comments:

  1. The first to comment, AND the first to "follow!" Yay! ;D Laur, again, I'm so very excited for you! You are going to be fabulous there, and I hope you have the best time ever. Can't wait to chat and hear about everything very soon. Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read up on all your adventures and see some pictures! Good luck on your flight (er, flights, layovers, etc.). Sounds intense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting. I'm excited to read all your happenings in Russia. =D Miss you a lot already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for you, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren, Maybe we'll see you at the airport. Uncle Dennis and I fly out of S.L. at 11:10 Tuesday morning, also. We are going to Phoenix. I am in desperate need of some Vitamin D sunshine. I am excited for you. My paternal grandparents immigrated from Dietel, Russia (now known at Oleshnika -- somewhere around Saratov). My ancestors left from Germany to Russia around 1765. Have fun and be safe. I'll be following your adventure. Love, Aunt Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe we will see you at the airport. Uncle Dennis and I fly out Tuesday from S.L. to Phoenix. We are in desperate need of some Vitamin D sunshine. My paternal grandparents came from a German village, Dietel, Russia (now known as Oleshniki) near Saratov. My ancestors left Germany for Russia sometime around 1765. I hope you have a great time. Be safe. Love, Aunt Sharon P.S. I am a follower twice now, because I have no idea what I am doing. This is the fifth time I've tried to post a message.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you have a good time in Mother Russia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lauren, what an exciting adventure. I hope you have arrived safely and that you had a good long rest in your travels. I am so anxious to follow your blog and see what Russia is all about. I am so glad you have a blog to keep us all updated. Good luck and we will be hearing from you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should have realized that I am not the only Reilly. Love Danny and rachel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Viggs....hopefully you are getting all settled in. Remember to stay within the boundaries of St. Petersberg and cross not into the lands of Carpathia, although I'm sure it will be tempting to do so. Get on skype and call me when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are happy that you are there safe and feeling good about everything. We know it will be a great time and look forward to hearing all about it. Have fun and be safe. Love you, Dad.

    ReplyDelete